Brandon Hoyte, a 2006 graduate of Notre Dame and a former Irish football captain, needs your help.
Hoyte, now 37, suffers from a neurological condition caused by playing football and was arrested Feb. 13 in San Diego. He faces three felonies and one misdemeanor, alleging assault against a police officer (without a weapon), vandalism and resisting arrest.
John Kouris, a 1996 alumnus who befriended Hoyte in recent years, has established a GoFundMe for a dual purpose: to pay a bail bondsman to secure Hoyte’s release and to get him situated in a treatment facility where the former linebacker can be assessed and properly treated.
Kouris is hoping to raise $7,500 as soon as possible. He has talked to Hoyte and, without divulging too much, he is not in a safe place. Those who have recently interacted with Hoyte agree — it’s not jail that he needs, but treatment.
To do so, visit the San Diego County Sheriff’s Department website here.
- Enter your email and click “VALIDATE.”
2. After entering your email and hitting “VALIDATE,” you should see this screen:
And your email should contain this:
3. Click on the link in your email and you should see a page like this:
4. Compose your email, making sure to stay under 2,000 characters and 20 lines. When you’re done, hit send.
5. You’ll receive a confirmation email from the Sheriff’s Office saying they’ve received it with a copy of what you wrote.
If you’ve got questions, hit me on Twitter at @ndjrs or in the comments section below. And, as always, thank you for your support — in whichever way you decide to give it.