Did you take my quiz celebrating the immaterial and arcane factoids about Notre Dame FightIng Irish?
I want to congratulate the winner, jchiafair, who got 10 out of 20 questions correct. I will be reaching out to them to find out which T-shirt they’d like from the South Bend Collection at Breaking T.
Here are the questions and their answers:
1) How much did it cost for tuition, room and board at Notre Dame in 1844?
Most popular answer: $104.50
Correct answer: $165
2) Between 1930 and 1940, the Irish played 47 games at the new Notre Dame Stadium. How many of these were sellouts?
Most popular answer: 0
Correct answer: 4
3) What did it cost a Notre Dame student to attend the 1946 season opener at the University of Illinois?
Most popular answer: $4.50 ($2.50 for the train; $2 for game ticket)
Correct answer: $9 ($6 for train; $3 for game ticket)
4) How many towers like Flanner and Grace did Notre Dame initially plan to build?
Most popular answer: 4
Correct answer: 5
5) With former Notre Dame tackle Ziggy Czarobski’s aid, the Maryville Academy Chuckwagon raised how much in its first year in 1971?
Most popular answer: $7,600
Correct answer: $26,000
6) How many former Notre Dame players appeared in Super Bowls in the 1970s?
Most popular answer and correct answer: 6
7) What was the first Notre Dame home game to be played under the Musco portable lights and broadcast on ESPN?
Most popular answer: 1982 vs. Michigan
Correct answer: 1984 vs. Miami
8) As of 1985, what was the average depth of St. Mary’s Lake?
Most popular answer: 10 feet
Correct answer: 22 feet
9) Which Irish defensive player missed his first game since second grade Pop Warner when he suffered a hamstring injury in 1986?
Most popular answer: LB Mike Kovaleski
Correct answer: LT Robert Banks
10) The 1986 Notre Dame-Navy game aired on what television station?
Most popular answer: CBS
Correct answer: TBS
11) Inspired by Andy Heck’s banquet night outburst, which former Irish player got a leprechaun and “1988 National Champions” inked on his thigh at a biker tattoo shop in New Jersey?
Most popular answer: Ned Bolcar
Correct answer: Pete Graham
12) Which Notre Dame player once won a Jim McMahon “look-a-like” contest at a South Bend nightclub?
Most popular answer: Steve Beuerlein
Correct answer: John Carney
13) Notre Dame had 16,300 seats to give to contributing alumni for the 1991 USC home game. How many tickets were requested by that group?
Most popular answer: 47,954
Correct answer: 41,954
14) Nick Setta rushed for a touchdown against Boston College in 2000, and became the first Irish kicker to record the PAT after his own TD since...
Most popular answer and correct answer: 1962
15) What did Notre Dame pay Tyrone Willingham in total compensation (including benefits)?
Most popular answer: $11,071,375
Correct answer: $10,171,375
16) What was Tom Zbikowski’s dream golf foursome, as of 2005?
Most popular answer: Phil Mickelson, Mark Buehrle &E.J. Zbikowski
Correct answer: “Marvelous” Marvin Hagler,Walter Payton & Jim McMahon
17) What song was sophomore linebacker Brian Smith embarrassed to admit he loved in 2008?
Most popular answer: Fergie - “Big Girls Don’t Cry”
Correct answer: Natasha Bedingfield - “These Words”
18) In the Brian Kelly era, what is Notre Dame’s record in games in which the temperature at kickoff was 40 or fewer degrees?
Most popular answer: 8-0
Correct answer: 8-2
19) What is Notre Dame’s record since January 1, 1995 when wearing predominantly green jerseys?
Most popular answer: 4-6
Correct answer: 6-5
20) Which coach most recently passed the Brimley/”Cocoon” line?
Most popular answer: Mike Elston
Correct answer: John McNulty
Thanks for everyone who participated!