The Notre Dame Fighting Irish kicked off the spring football practice period with an early morning practice, and a press conference with head coach Brian Kelly. There were a lot of questions up in the air — particularly with injuries — so here is a quick injury report.
- All running backs were accounted for at practice. Rumors circulated about a major injury and one of the backs, and most of them pointed towards Jahmir Smith, but everyone is a go.
- Both Tommy Kraemer and Robert Hainsey practiced today, but were shut down after a certain amount of workload.
- Aaron Banks is still about 5-6 weeks out with a foot injury.
- Shaun Crawford has a hamstring issue and was limited.
- Cam Hart practiced but was limited (“aggressive shadow”).
- Jack Kiser is back on the field.
- Daelin Hayes is out there but will be limited.
- Quinn Carroll is out there but will be limited.
- Shayne Simon will be full go for camp.
- Howard Cross will be full go for camp.
- Jack Lamb is about 3 weeks out.
Brian Kelly didn’t want to bring up a depth chart and said that he doesn’t put one up, but said there is a “pecking order,” and somebody has to go out there with the first eleven guys. That was in response to Kevin Austin running with the ones, and Kelly made sure to bring up Bennett Skowronek and Javon McKinley as well.
ON IAN BOOK
“After the Michigan game, for him to lead our football team to six consecutive wins — that’s pretty good. That shows some resiliiance and some leadership, and all of those guys know that. So they want to follow a guy like that, just because of his actions from last year. He’s got a ton of credibility and a lot of respect from his peers. He doesn’t need to really walk around and scream and yell. He’s got a presence about him, and he just needs to be Ian Book. Complete a shitload of passes — that would be great.”
You can watch the full presser (which has quite a bit of info) in the video below and there will be more to come on OFD.