The Notre Dame Fighting Irish stay undefeated on the season with their 31-17 win over the North Carolina Tar Heels in Chapel Hill. It was kind of a funny game, to be honest. There was a lot of angst and frustration with how the game started, but the Irish ended up making quite a few big plays on offense while taking Sam Howell and the UNC offense out to the woodshed on defense.
Some of those “big plays” by the Irish offense were Ian Book plays that just made you go shout out OH MY GOD because it was a religious undertaking.
A few notes before we get to the highlights and condensed version of the game...
- Notre Dame has the longest winning streak in college football at 15 games.
- This is win 101 for Brian Kelly at Notre Dame.
- Ian Book has 29 wins as the starting quarterback which ties him with Brady Quinn, Ron Powlus, and Tom Clements as the most in program history.
- This is the 6th straight game Notre Dame has allowed less than 100 yards rushing by its opponent.
- Ben Skowronek had his first career rushing touchdown while Kyren Williams had his first career receiving touchdown.
- Javon McKinley had a career high with 6 receptions for 135 yards.
- Notre Dame had 6 sacks for the day. Justin Ademilola and Rylie Mills had their first career sack. Adetokunbo Ogundeji got his season total to 5.5 while Isaiah Foskey has 4.5 with his today.