It’s a joyous day for fans of the Notre Dame Fighting Irish as Brian Kelly stepped up to the podium for the first press conference of the season. Notre Dame will start fall camp this weekend, and Kelly made a statement and addressed the media.
Some interesting takeaways from the presser:
- Freshman J.D. Bertrand will be in the mix at linebacker.
- Kevin Austin is “day to day” according to BK as far as his status is concerned.
- Aaron Banks is coming along “wonderfully” after foot surgery and is ready to go.
- They will still wait to name captains (probably next week) and it could be as many as six.
- Trevor Ruhland is ready to compete after his offseason surgeries.
- Ian Book has emerged as a team leader and respected all around the locker room.
- Phil Jurkovec messed around with his throwing motion in the spring, but is back to his original throwing style.
- Jonathan Doerer has more confidence as a kicker.
- Chase Claypool had ankle surgery, and will be brought around slowly at camp — still good to go.
This is Brian Kelly’s 10th season, and he was asked what he has learned at Notre Dame:
Kelly asked what he's learned about himself at Notre Dame.— Adam Derengowski (@AdamDerWSBT) August 2, 2019
"Never get satisfied. We got a taste of what its like to be in the Playoffs. I want to win the darn thing."
You can watch the entire presser below, and we will have much more on OFD soon.