The Notre Dame Fighting Irish had a meaningful scrimmage on Saturday during a training camp practice and Brian Kelly spoke with the media afterwards.
Kelly emphasized that he really likes what they have with their starting five offensive linemen with Liam Eichenberg, Aaron Banks, Jarret Patterson, Tommy Kraemer, and Robert Hainsey. With Eichenberg, Kelly said that after an up and down spring, he has been really steady during training camp and if he had a “bad day” — it wasn’t noticeable.
Head coach BK made sure to mention Trevor Ruhland and Josh Lugg as well with his praise as both players give Notre Dame some added flexibility and insurance during the season.
SOME QUICK NOTES
- It really appears that Jafar Armstrong and Tony Jones Jr. have become 1A and 1B at running back, and both are doing the little things in regards to the passing game that he loves to see.
- Chase Claypool and Troy Pride Jr. have battled all camp to make one another better, and have developed a mutual respect during their war on the turf. That wasn’t always the case in the past according to Kelly.
- Brian Kelly gave a lot of affirmation that Jonathan Doerer is leading in the kicking battle over freshman Harrison Leonard — although he was careful not to straight up say Doerer was #1.
- Shaun Crawford has been really good, and is a player that can help at every position in the secondary. Shaun gives them a lot of options, and his playmaking ability is on point.
- Kyle Hamilton had two more interceptions.
- Paul Moala has a wrist issue but should be back on Monday.
- Donte Vaughn is fighting a tweak to his quad, but should be fine moving forward.
- Michael Young left practice with an apparent shoulder injury, but Kelly had little information to give.
- Javon McKinley was on the sideline (he’s had a good camp so far).
You can watch the entire press conference in the player below.