On Friday night, 4-Star DE Braiden McGregor made his official commitment to the Michigan Wolverines known via a video and announcement ceremony. The Notre Dame Fighting Irish were one of six schools that had a hat represented on the table in front of McGregor.
Obviously, it did not go Notre Dame’s way.
Braiden McGregor just played a video of him committing to the Michigan staff on his visit to Ann Arbor.— Matt Freeman (@mattfreemanISD) May 24, 2019
Yep. So let me throw this out there as what might have just happened...
- McGregor was a silent commit to Michigan.
- I believe some guy named Brice for Michigan’s 247 site is a family friend of sorts.
- McGregor strung the recruiting process out for whatever reason (doesn’t have to for nefarious reasons).
- Everyone pretends that it’s a big toss-up despite the commitment.
- Hype. Like... NSD level of hype.
- Skunkbears celebrate.
If all of that is true, the last month or so has been mostly a ruse. In the world of college football recruiting, I can definitely think of way worse things, but this is still pretty silly — if those events that I described actually went down that way (or close enough).
It is what it is, and Notre Dame wanted the 6’6 250 defensive end badly — because he’s really good. It’s just a tough thing for a guy like Mike Elston who put in all that work in trying to get McGregor to come to Notre Dame... and now all he has is a #17 jersey that’s way too tight.
Congrats to Braiden for picking his dream school, and I applaud the Notre Dame staff (especially Elston) for putting in the work on this one.
It just didn’t work out.