[repeat] So I’m bringing back the Throwback Thursday’s a little early this year. I mean... if you consider February early in terms of the college football season. Legally, I think I’m supposed to say WAY TOO EARLY THROWBACK THURSDAY but I’ve always been somewhat of a rebel — so dangerous.
Mostly, I’m just going to post a video (full-game if possible) and offer a little bit of some commentary. You know, the reason God gave us bullet points.
2004: Notre Dame Fighting Irish 17, Tennessee Volunteers 13
It’s strange that such a bad season had a nice handful of great moments, but here we are. The Irish went down to Knoxville in November and beat the #9 team in the country.
- This was becoming PEAK Tennessee for me, and I wish this series would be played on a more regular basis.
- Yes... Notre Dame went on the road in November and beat a ranked team GASP!
- Mike Goolsby celebrated his INT return for TD about 10 yards too soon — but still managed.
- Anytime you can watch Justin Tuck in a Notre Dame uniform, you must AND you must say a small prayer.
- An actual Quinn vs Clausen battle. Well... Brady Quinn vs Rick Clausen.
- There is no way in hell that this game would have been better served at a neutral location.
- Carlyle Holiday returning punts.
It was a great game, albeit a little boring at times — but that’s SEC football in the early 2000s. It’s still strange to think Ty Willingham winning a big game, but that’s exactly what he did here.
Golf clap to Ty.
Enjoy one more time!