Welcome to Hot and Cold Takes: 2020 Class Edition. As a recap, a HOT take is one that may cause some controversy, but will allow you to say, “CALLED IT!”. A COLD take is still impressive, but is generally more reasonable/expected. This is a bit unique since the payoff may not be until next year, or 3 years from now. HOWEVER, if you are correct, you can search this article down the road and have proof of your “I always said that guy was going to be amazing” takes.
AND HERE WE GO
Jay Brunelle won’t be redshirted this year
I am not saying that he will get time at WR, but he seems like an ideal candidate to contribute on special teams immediately. He clearly has a chip on his shoulder after coming out to camp with Notre Dame to secure an offer. He wanted to be in an Irish uniform and he took it into his own hands to do so. This is the type of mentality that gets someone on the field right away. Players now have “conversations” with coaches regarding red shirt rules with the ability to play in 4 games. I see his attitude as someone who wants/needs to be on the field. Enrolling early will also be a huge part of this as he will have adjusted to the grind of college football before camp opens this summer. He plays and attacks everything with an attitude, which you can see in his face in high highlights and interviews.
Alexander Ehrensberger is going to be a beast, and will play in the minimum 4 games next season. He will also record multiple 7+ sack seasons.
Talk about a Sleeper. It is tough to fully decipher his tape but I can say a couple of things.......
- Having an 8 pack while being 6’7 240lbs is crazy impressive.
- Yes he is raw....but he is a vicious tackler with a nose for the football. This is something you can’t teach, but just have in you.
- He trains like an animal in a region where American Football isn’t the lead sport by any margin. Playing big time football must have been a pipe-dream, but he made it a reality. To me, that is a MASSIVE intangible.
- He played against weak competition, but no one belonged on the field with him, which is how he should look. Playing against better competition in practice and getting proper coaching will accelerate his development RIGHT AWAY.
- I’ve seen Pumping Iron, twice.
(If anyone can translate for me that would be great-thanks in advance).
Dusseldorf, Germany ✈️ Notre Dame— Hudl (@Hudl) December 18, 2019
Congrats, @Ehrensberger_! @NDFootball | #GoIrish | #IrishBouNDXX pic.twitter.com/8OxBoYeWD5