NFL Draft season is slowly, but surely, creeping into our lives. It starts with Draft declarations for underclassmen, and moves on to the next step — the Resse’s Senior Bowl. The Notre Dame Fighting Irish are pretty well represented here, so let’s take a look at the game.
WHEN, WHERE, AND HOW TO WATCH
When: Saturday January 26 @ 12:30 EST
Where: Mobile, Alabama Ladd-Peebles Stadium
How to watch: NFL Network
PARTICIPANTS FROM NOTRE DAME
The Irish have three players in Mobile for the Senior Bowl:
- #2 Dexter Williams Running Back (NORTH)
- #9 Te’von Coney Inside Linebacker (NORTH)
- #42 Drue Tranquill Outside Linebacker (NORTH)
Alize Mack had originally accepted an invite to play, but withdrew from the event last week.
WHO ARE THE IRISH PLAYERS COMPETING AGAINST?
While this all leads to a game, most of the action and the breakdown of players by the NFL teams will happen during practice. This means that teammates will be displaying the most competition per capita against one another. So, who are Dexter, Drue, and Te’von up against?
- Running Back 22 Karan Higdon, Michigan Wolverines
- Running Back 1 Tony Pollard, Memphis Tigers
- Inside Linebacker 3 Germaine Pratt, N.C. State Wolfpack
- Inside Linebacker 35 Cameron Smith, USC Trojans
- Outside Linebacker 15 Sutton Smith, Northern Illinois Huskies
- Outside Linebacker 36 Dre Greenlaw, Arkansas Razorbacks
- Outside Linebacker 52 Ben Banogu, TCU Horned Frogs
IS THERE SOME IRISH BUZZ?
Oh yes... Dexter Williams has been getting a lot of love this week for his play in practice. So much so, that he was awarded a trophy for Practice Player of the Week. Even if Dexter Williams wasn’t ranked in the top 10 for the running backs in the NFL Draft up to this point, he is certainly making the case in Alabama that he belongs with the best of them.
Working.... @seniorbowl thank you ! pic.twitter.com/8qJpgi3wfG— 2_JUICE (@DexterW_22) January 25, 2019
Dexter Williams. Electric. #SeniorBowl pic.twitter.com/GPz08pPgsl— Matt Freeman (@mattfreemanISD) January 23, 2019
WHAT’S THIS ALL ABOUT?
The Senior Bowl isn’t for those that are projected to be in the 1st or 2nd round (mostly anyways). It can, however, open the eyes of those making the picks. In doing so, these guys can significantly increase their draft stock before the next test comes in short time... the NFL Combine.