The Notre Dame Fighting Irish are in the stretch run of their final week of fall camp. It’s technically “media day,” but the team still had a practice this morning (open to the media) and Brian Kelly got in front of the podium to take questions.
A few highlights from that press conference:
- Brian Kelly gushed about Tyler Newsome and gave him a big hug today. Kelly admits that he is indeed “a big hugger.”
- Kelly raved about freshman wide receiver Kevin Austin (as did the entire press corps).
- Jafar Armstrong may not be human. He’s not necessarily an animal — but quite possibly a robot. Kelly stated, “he doesn’t break down.”
- According to Coach BK, fair-catching is an important trait for a punt returner ( I offer no more commentary than that).
- In the wake of the Maryland tragedies, Kelly stated that they are “demanding, but never demeaning.”
- Kelly isn’t worried about the amount of carries Brandon Wimbush will have (thanks to Ian Book).
- Isaiah Robertson was moved from LB to WR.
- The team is healthy with no major issues — just some “camp stuff” that includes patella tendonitis for Daelin Hayes.
- On Dexter Williams: “Obviously Dex is going to continue to work and see how that plays out.”
@NDFootball Brian Kelly Press Conference - Media Day (08.15.18)
☘️ Watch LIVE as Notre Dame Football head coach Brian Kelly takes the podium on Media Day before the September 1st season opener vs. Michigan. #GoIrish #BeatMichiganPosted by Notre Dame Fighting Irish Athletics on Wednesday, August 15, 2018
More to come.