I’ve always taught my kids the value of service and giving back, which is why this particular philanthropic effort by the Lou’s Lads Foundation is near and dear to my heart. The Lou’s Lads Foundation, which was founded in 2008 by “lads” of former Notre Dame Fighting Irish head coach Lou Holtz, adopted the Bread of Life Food Drive in 2014. The Bread of Life Food Drive has been a great way for the lads to get involved in their local alumni clubs, and an additional way for the local alumni clubs to give back to their communities. How did the Bread of Life Food Drive start?
The Bread of Life Food Drive (B.O.L.D.) began back in the spring of 1992 through the ND Alumni Club of Staten Island.
In the spring of 1992, Father Malloy, President of the University of Notre Dame, asked each Notre Dame Alumni Club across America to give a “gift” to their local community in the name of Notre Dame, in celebration of the 150th anniversary of the University. The University of Notre Dame Alumni Club of Staten Island decided that a food drive, to be held in the spring of 1992, would be their “gift” to the Staten Island community as requested by Father Malloy. The club called their springtime food drive the “Bread of Life Food Drive” and the food drive provided 5,000 items of food, collected from seven schools, and distributed to three local Staten Island not-for-profit organizations who served the hungry, homeless and families in need. Feeling very proud of their accomplishment, the Staten Island club thought this would be a one-time event. However, each of the three recipient organizations thanked the club for their donation of food and told the Bread of Life organizers they had never received food donations in the spring time. It seemed that only Thanksgiving and Christmas were times when food drives were held to support these not-for-profits.
So, inspired by this revelation from the not-for-profits, and with a little inspiration from the Holy Spirit, the Notre Dame Club of Staten Island decided to hold a second spring food drive in 1993, and increased the number of donor schools, recipient organizations and total items of food collected. And thus, eventually became the “Bread of Life Food Drive.”
Several years ago, former Notre Dame Head Coach Lou Holtz and the Lou’s Lads Foundation asked each Notre Dame Alumni Club to hold a Bread of Life Food Drive. Most food pantries receive food donations during the holiday season in November and December and by the spring and summer are getting low on food. The Bread of Life Food Drives are held in the spring to help restock local food pantries. Nearly 50 million people in the United States, or 1 in 6 Americans don’t know where their next meal is going to come from.
My local alumni club in St. Louis partnered with the Lou’s Lads Foundation in the spring of 2015, and for every year since then we’ve hosted a food drive, along with at least one of Lou’s “lads” who has come out to volunteer and serve with us. This year, the St. Louis Club had their local food drive last month, but I thought I’d try and see if I could do a “virtual” food drive or sorts, to see if we as a global Notre Dame community can continue to help our local food pantries during the summer months.
So here’s my idea. I have one extra Lou’s Lads Foundation B.O.L.D. t-shirt from our local food drive that I would like to give to one lucky Notre Dame fan, but in order to do a little good in the process – lets make a little sweepstakes out of it. See section 2 below for the specifics of how to enter!
No purchase is necessary just follow the instructions and you’re in!
Entries will be collected until June 30th, and the winner will be announced on my Facebook page on July 1st.
Let’s do some good in our local communities in the name of Notre Dame and our former head coach Lou Holtz.
The B.O.L.D. T-Shirt Sweepstakes (the “Sweepstakes”) is open only to legal residents of the United States who are at least eighteen (18) years of age, who enter the Sweepstakes according to these rules. The Sweepstakes is sponsored by Vox Media, Inc., 1201 Connecticut Avenue, 11th Floor, NW, Washington, DC 20036 (“Sponsor”). By entering the Sweepstakes, you indicate your full and unconditional agreement to, and acceptance of, (a) these Official Rules and (b) Sponsor’s decisions, which are final and binding. Winning a prize (as defined below) is contingent upon fulfilling all requirements set forth herein.
1. Entry Period: The Sweepstakes begins at 12:01 a.m. EST on June 5, 2018 and ends at 11:59 p.m. EST on June 30, 2018. Entries submitted before or after the Entry Period will not be eligible. Sponsor’s computer is the official time-keeping device for the Sweepstakes.
2. How to Enter: To enter, each entrant must do one of the following: (1) purchase a copy of Vol I or Vol II of “The Men We Became,” in the month of June, through my website, (Father’s Day is just around the corner) and send me a copy of the receipt (emailed to LKND93@sbcglobal.net); (2) send me a photo (post it on my Facebook page, or email to LKND93@sbcglobal.net) of you donating non-perishable food items to your local food pantry; (3) Send an email to me at LKND93@sbcglobal.net with the subject line: Enter Me in the Lou’s Lads B.O.L.D. t-shirt contest, and tell me your favorite Coach Holtz memory in the body of the email. Entries will not be acknowledged. The use of an agency or any automated system to enter is strictly prohibited and Sponsor reserves the right to disqualify any entries received through such methods, as determined by Sponsor, in its sole discretion.
3. Drawing and Notification: After the Entry Period, I will select one (1) potential winners in a random drawing of all entries (each, a “Potential Winner”). The odds of being selected depend on the number of entries received. I will post the winner on my Facebook page and attempt to notify the Potential Winner but if a Potential Winner does not respond Sponsor will select an alternate Potential Winner in his/her place at random from all remaining entries received.
4. General Conditions: No Purchase is necessary, and will not impact the ability of an entrant to win the Sweepstakes. In the event that the operation, security, or administration of the Sweepstakes is impaired in any way for any reason, including, but not limited to fraud, virus, or other technical problem, Sponsor may, in its sole discretion, either: (a) suspend the Sweepstakes to address the impairment and then resume the Sweepstakes in a manner that best conforms to the spirit of these Official Rules; or (b) award the prize(s) at random from among the eligible entries received up to the time of the impairment. The Sweepstakes is subject to federal, state, and local laws and regulations and is void where prohibited. By participating in the Sweepstakes, you agree to release and hold harmless Sponsor and its parent, subsidiaries, affiliates, prize providers, officers, directors, employees, and agents (collectively, the “Released Parties”) from and against any claim or cause of action arising out of participation in the Sweepstakes or receipt or use of any prize. You waive the right to claim any damages whatsoever, including, but not limited to, punitive, consequential, direct, or indirect damages.
6. Third Party Platforms: If this Sweepstakes is hosted, administered, or operated on a third party platform, including without limitation a social media platform (e.g. Facebook or Twitter) (“Third Party Platform”), then by participating in this Sweepstakes, entrants hereby release and agree to hold harmless such Third Party Platform from any and all liability, loss or damages arising from or in connection with the awarding, receipt, and/or use or misuse of prizes or participation in any prize-related activities. Unless otherwise stated to the contrary in these Official Rules, this Sweepstakes is not sponsored, endorsed or administered by, or associated with, any Third Party Platform.
7. Results: To request a notice of who the Winner is please email me at LKND93@sbcglobal.net, within four (4) weeks of the end of the Entry Period.