Brian Kelly and the Notre Dame Fighting Irish kicked off the spring practice season with fairly short opening statement, and a decently long question and answer period.
I thought is really got interesting early when Brian Kelly was asked about Dexter Williams and his progress during the offseason so far. Kelly addressed the elephant in the room (that was there all season) about Williams lack of playing time, and attributed it to Dexter's inability to stay healthy and in the mix.
It was when Kelly started talking about the progress Dexter was making this offseason with his "workload," that I became lost and confused. While I understand that "workload" can be used in terms of strength and conditioning training, the way Kelly uses the phrase, it seems more like an excuse for last season's decisions.
Perhaps in this case, less would be more.
Some other points that were made or emphasized:
- Drue Tranquill is a BUCK
- Asmar Bilal will cross-train at ROVER and BUCK. He will also be ROVER 1 for spring.
- Jafar Armstrong will get work at running back.
- George Takacs has an upper body injury.
- Avery Davis will cross-train at QB and other positions (including special teams).
- Robert Hainsey will start out at left tackle.
The quarterback competition between Ian Book and Brandon Wimbush was also discussed, and will be discussed for quite some time.