Will you be in South Bend this weekend for the Notre Dame Fighting Irish vs. Florida State Seminoles game? If the answer is yes, I hope you have a little free time on Friday afternoon, because guess who’s signing books at the Hammes Notre Dame bookstore? Mike Brey! Notre Dame alums and fans alike will have a special opportunity to meet Coach Brey on the afternoon of Friday, November 9th, at 3:30pm, as he signs copies of his new book: Keeping it Loose: Patience, Passion and My Life in Basketball.
I already have my copy of the book, but I haven’t had a chance to dive into it just yet. Here is a brief description of Coach Brey’s new book courtesy of his publisher, Triumph Books.
When it comes to writing about life in the sports world, there is no one better than the coaches to tell sports fans about how they made it to where they are today. Mike Brey, head coach of the Notre Dame Fighting Irish men’s basketball team, and John Heisler, senior associate athletics director for media and broadcast relations at Notre Dame, have redefined the sports autobiography in Keeping it Loose: Patience, Passion and My Life in Basketball. From playing under high school coaching legend Morgan Wootten to watching his team make it to the Atlantic Coast Conference, this new release has everything sports fans should know about the NCAA figurehead. Highlights include:
- A heartfelt foreword by Jay Bilas, ESPN college basketball analyst and graduate assistant at Duke University during Brey’s tenure as assistant coach.
- Background on how Brey was first introduced to the world of college basketball.
- Tales from his time as assistant coach to Duke University’s Mike Krzyzewski and as coach of the Delaware Fightin’ Blue Hens men’s basketball teams.
- Leading the Irish to back-to-back Elite Eight appearances in the NCAA Tournament.
- A chapter dedicated to Brey’s involvement in the American Cancer Society’s Coaches vs. Cancer program.
- Insider stories memories of Fighting Irish stars Troy Murphy, Luke Harangody, Jerian Grant, Bonzie Colson, and many more.
An engaging glimpse into the life of the man known as the “loosest coach in America,” Keeping it Loose: Patience, Passion and My Life in Basketball is a must-read for athletic instructors eager to learn how to make it big in college sports.
About the authors:
Mike Brey has coached men’s basketball at Notre Dame since the year 2000 and is the winningest head coach in program history.
John Heisler has spent 40 years as a member of the University of Notre Dame athletics staff. He has written or edited several other books on Notre Dame athletics.
I hope to see you at the bookstore as you pick up your copy of Coach Brey’s new book. I look forward to congratulating him on his continued success and getting my copy signed.
Cheers & GO IRISH!