The Notre Dame Fighting Irish are 6-0 and ranked in the top 5. While that’s super awesome and enough reason to go on a fully full-on happy binge of gin... the Pittsburgh Panthers are coming to town. Pitt has made its bones in the past by being a really mediocre team that likes to play the spoiler.
If you have national title aspirations in any given year, whatever you do, DO NOT PLAY PITT— Alex Kirshner (@alex_kirshner) October 11, 2018
hi Notre Dame https://t.co/lw5gi6FG0u
So, of course we look at this Pitt team with some worry. After all, 2012 could have been a completely different season had that game against the Panthers been slightly different.
Rather than looking back, we must look toward the future. It’s not just Pitt now, as each game ahead of the Irish will become the most important game of the season. Can the Irish rise to that challenge each week?
We’re about to find out. On to the Anti-Preview!
WHAT SHOULD YOU BE DRINKING?
While I generally offer up a cocktail each week, I haven’t been able to shake the steel from my body. Yes indeed... Curious is calling. Pick a flavor.
WHAT SHOULD YOU BE EATING?
The Worlds Greatest Simple Chili.
- 1 large onion diced
- 1.5 lbs. of lean ground round
- 1 can of dark kidney beans
- 1 can of diced tomato’s
- 1 package of a cheap chili seasoning (I prefer McCormicks)
- OPTIONAL- 1 cup of finely chopped celery
Throw in your ground round, and toss in your onions and celery. Brown the round and then put on simmer on low for 5 minutes while stirring occasionally. Mix in the rest of the ingredients (do not drain the canned stuff- put it ALL IN). Add a half cup of water. Turn the heat on high and bring to a boil. Turn the heat on low, cover, and let it simmer for 10-30 minutes.
Serve with cornbread and a big dab of butter (No, I am not going to give you a recipe for that- buy a box of Jiffy and follow their instructions).
WHAT SHOULD YOU BE WEARING?
This week, instead of telling you what YOU (like the header says) should be wearing, I turn my eye to the Irish. Pitt, because of strong fan support, will be wearing their throwbacks which are incredibly awesome and just too damn smooth.
Even though Notre Dame won’t, they absolutely should wear some throwbacks of their own. OH MY GOD THE WONDROUS BEAUTY THAT COULD BE HAD ON SATURDAY!
As Wes always says... Throwbacks > Alternates
KEY(S) TO THE GAME
Notre Dame has to establish itself as a dominant team against Pitt. The Panthers are ranked in the 90’s for both points scored and points scored against.
- Explode early. Notre Dame has been known this season to jump out early and then taper off a bit. The Irish need to put this thing away as soon as it can. Score, kick ass, and then score again. Repeat.
- Lean on the running game. Don’t be afraid to spread the wealth on the ground. Maintain some health for Dexter Williams, by using Tony Jones Jr. a bit more this week.
- Pitt is a power running team. Until they prove otherwise. Notre Dame should load the box with 8 and sometimes 9 players. When Pitt does pass, the front four have to get pressure on the quarterback.
AT THE END OF THE DAY...
Notre Dame stays focused and gets the job done all afternoon. I think the Irish get up big early, and then stay up with a suffocating defense that puts a lot of pressure on Pitt to pass — and then puts a ton of pressure on the quarterback. Notre Dame 41, Pitt 10.