The Notre Dame Fighting Irish took a big bite out of their recruiting pie in December when they signed 21 recruits during the early signing period. The Irish hit most of their needs, but are still working hard to secure more commitments.
There are 22 current commitments in this class with the lone recruit to not sign in December being offensive lineman, Luke Jones. It has become fairly common knowledge that Notre Dame would like to take 25 in this class - which basic math says that there are 3 more spots available.
So what does scholarship chart say about that?
2018 Notre Dame Football Scholarship Chart
|Quarterback||Phil Jurkovec||Avery Davis*||Ian Book*||Brandon Wimbush*|
|Running Back||Jahmir Smith, C'Bo Flemister||Jafar Armstrong*||Tony Jones Jr.*||Dexter Williams|
|Tight End||George Takacs, Tommy Tremble||Cole Kmet, Brock Wright||Alize' Mack*||Nic Weishar|
|Wide Receiver||Micah Jones, Kevin Austin, Braden Lenzy, Lawrence Keys III||Michael Young||Chase Claypool, Javon McKinley*||Chris Finke*, Miles Boykin*|
|Center||Luke Jones||Sam Mustipher|
|Guard||John Dirksen||Dillan Gibbons*||Tommy Kraemer*||Trevor Ruhland*||Alex Bars|
|Tackle||Cole Mabry, Jarrett Patterson||Josh Lugg*, Robert Hainsey, Aaron Banks*||Liam Eichenberg*|
|Defensive Tackle||Jayson Ademilola, Ja'mion Franklin||Kurt Hinish, Darnell Ewell*, Myron Tagovailoa-Amosa||Micah Dew-Treadway*, Jerry Tillery||Jonathan Bonner|
|Defensive End||Justin Ademilola||Kofi Wardlow*||Ade Ogundeji*, Daelin Hayes, Khalid Kareem, Julian Okwara|
|Linebacker||Matt Bauer, Ovio Oghoufo, Jack Lamb||Drew White*, Jordan Genmark Heath||Jonathan Jones*, Jamir Jones, DJ Morgan||Te'von Coney||Drue Tranquill|
|Rover||Shayne Simon||Jeremiah Owusu-Koramoah*, Isaiah Robertson||Asmar Bilal|
|Safety||Derrik Allen, Paul Moala, Houston Griffith||Devin Studstill, Jalen Elliott, Alohi Gilman*||Nicco Fertitta, Nick Coleman|
|Cornerback||Joe Wilkins Jr., Tariq Bracy, D.J. Brown, Noah Boykin||Julian Love, Troy Pride Jr., Donte Vaughn||Shaun Crawford**|
|Specialists||John Doerer||John Shannon*||Justin Yoon||Tyler Newsome|
|27/85 (27)||45/85 (18)||65/85 (20)||79/85 (14)||85/85 (6)|
The new scholarship chart is now with 100% less Kevin Stepherson. It’s time to face the fact that he just won’t be able to come back after all that’s happened in the last couple years - especially the last month. The damn thing is still sitting one scholarship over the limit.
Again, using the basic math Mr. Frick would love, adding 3 more recruits puts the Irish 4 spots over the limit. Now, take away Te’von Coney and Jerry Tillery because a lot of insiders believe they are both jumping to the NFL, and you’re down to 2 spots that would need to be opened up.
Those two spots are likely the “Notre Dame offseason attrition” moments that we are so used to anymore.
So who is available to fill those 3 spots and what are Notre Dame’s chances?
THE LAST PROSPECTS
Or at least we think so.
- 4 Star CB Taiyon Palmer. Palmer is a recent offer as Notre Dame continues to add to the secondary in this class. Hard to say where Notre Dame sits with Palmer, but he is a fit.
- 4 Star LB Solomon Tuliaupupu. The California prospect is still considered to be USC’s to lose, but the recent hire of Clark Lea as Notre Dame’s defensive coordinator seems to be a major plus for Tuliaupupu.
- 4 Star CB Noah Boykin. The Washington D.C. star continues to be committed to the Maryland Terrapins, but many think he will flip - somewhere. He almost did with Notre Dame a few months ago. Notre Dame still looks pretty good here.
- 5 Star OT Nicholas Petit-Frere. No one knows what’s happening with Petit-Frere. He remains quiet, and has countless options. At one time he was considered to be an Irish lean, but now with Notre Dame in search of an offensive line coach after Harry Hiestand’s departure, it doesn’t look so rosy anymore.
- 4 Star OT Jarrett Patterson. Patterson decommitted from the Arizona State Sun Devils, and just got an offer from Notre Dame. He will take a visit to South Bend, and that’s about all we know for sure.
- 4 Star S Julius Irvin. Notre Dame is still recruiting the star player from California, but the USC Trojans appear to be the team to beat.
- 4 Star WR Lawrence Keys III. This is down to Notre Dame and Houston. Can the Irish pull the Louisiana kid out of the south? Sure...
- 3 Star DT Otito Ogbonnia. Although the Irish are still recruiting the Texas big man, there is no visit set up.
- 3 Star DT Moro Ojomo. Notre Dame is in this one, and he will visit the Irish this month. A lot to overcome, but the right pitch could do it.
BEST GUESS ON 3
Notre Dame will only be able to take 1⁄3 of that list, so here are the three that I think they get:
- LB Solomon Tuliaupupu
- CB Noah Boykin
- WR Lawrence Keys III
That’s a big boost on defense, but it lacks the offensive lineman that Notre Dame covets.
Stay tuned. It might get weird.