It’s the first week of August and camp is under way for the Notre Dame Fighting Irish. Instead of filling your head with too much information, we offer you these choice nuggets to contemplate.
The Tar Heels went 8-5 last year, but their explosive offense catapulted Mitch Trubisky into the #2 overall pick in the 2017 NFL Draft. It was as odd as say ... a hurricane arriving in the Carolinas every time the Irish head down there.
5 Things You Have To Know
- So Mitch Trubisky is the Chicago Bears' next problem at quarterback, and that leaves a spot open in Chapel Hill. It should go to LSU Tigers transfer Brandon Harris, but it’s not like he was amazing while at LSU. After Harris, it is a toss-up between Nathan Elliott and Chazz Surrat.
- There’s no Hood under that engine. Running back Elijah Hood is gone, and so is most of the Tar Heel running attack. In fact, there is very little experience at the position, even with Auburn transfer Stanton Truitt included.
- There is no time or channel set for this game, but I think you can just about bank on an ESPN2 showing at 7:30.
- This will be the sixth game of the year for the Irish. The following week will be the bye week. It’s almost the exact same setup as what Notre Dame had in 2008, when it went down to Chapel Hill and lost 29-24.
- Watch the Tar Heels' game against the Louisville Cardinals in week 2, if you want a better grasp on how their defense will look against the Irish.
Best Case Scenario
Notre Dame takes some early season success, and translates that into a mid-season win in the south — which is something that has been hard to do for the Irish.
Worst Case Scenario
Things aren’t clicking, and a road game against a potent offense is the worst kind of medicine.
Notre Dame 37, North Carolina 31. By the time this game comes around, the Irish offense should be hitting full stride. Depth issues at safety and on the defensive line start to show a little as the Irish struggle in Chapel Hill, but come out on top. A CJ Sanders kick return for TD in the 4th quarter wins this thing. (YAY SPECIAL TEAMS)!