For all of the ups and downs that the Notre Dame Fighting Irish football team gives us, sometimes it’s the lowest moments that sink in the most. Big wins and exciting wins (the latter doesn’t always coincide with the former) are great and all, but it’s those gut-wrenching losses that leaves the biggest mark on us, our furniture, our walls, and our neighbors.
Basically, I want to hear your war stories.
Just a few questions to consider:
- What game sent you into a fit of rage?
- Did you get arrested?
- Did your girlfriend breakup with you?
- Did your children ask, “Mommy, what’s wrong with daddy?”
- Did you break things?
- Might you be a suspect in an ongoing arson case?
- Do people still talk about it to this day?
Just a few from my collection.
Ironically, I have been pretty calm (for me) since the 2012 season. Somehow, having to form real thoughts and opinions to put on a website, has me much more relaxed during the games. It only took about 5 years - but dammit I got there (and gin).
Here’s a few brief examples of rage:
- 2009 vs Michigan Wolverines: Took an ax to my concrete barn floor. It looked like a gray desert.
- 2006 vs UCLA Bruins: Took my clothes off and grabbed other ND gear and threw in the front yard. Poured gas on the pile, but checked the game before I lit the match. SAMARDZIJA!
- My girlfriend broke up with me during the Gator Bowl loss to NC State. I was too passionate for her.
My list could go on and on (god we’ve had some bad things happen) but I want to hear YOUR story.
Step up to the center (that’s the guard you damn fool)
Just head on into the comments below and unleash your pain. Don’t be ashamed - we’re all friends here. Tell us your story of semi-criminal gameday desperation, and unburden your soul.
Let’s start 2017 with a fresh slate.