Oddsmakers in Las Vegas and overseas are bullish on the Irish’s chances of boat-racing the reigning American Athletic Conference champions at the newly renovated Notre Dame Stadium.
Notre Dame opened as just a six-point favorite when the Golden Nugget released its way-too-early betting lines in mid-March.
Pretty sure, I'm the only one in the world with a ND -6 ticket. They moved it immediately after I bet it. pic.twitter.com/O5HZ4jhQyn— Brad Powers (@BradPowers7) August 28, 2017
Now 5 Dimes, BetNow, BetPhoenix, MyBookie and Bovada all have the Irish as 17 1⁄2 point favorites. They’ve also set the over/under on the game at 53.5 or 54 points. (You’d bet the over if you think the final score will be more than 54 points, say 35-21.)
Here are the lines for other 2017 Notre Dame opponents:
- Georgia Bulldogs vs. Appalachian State Mountaineers (6:15 p.m. Saturday on ESPN): Bulldogs are a 14 point favorite at home with the over/under at 45 or 45.5 points.
- Boston College Eagles at Northern Illinois Huskies (9:30 p.m. Friday on CBS Sports Network): Three sportsbooks have the Eagles as a field-goal favorite on the road, while the other two have them a 3.5 point favorite. The over/under is 47.
- Michigan State Spartans vs. Bowling Green Falcons (Noon Saturday, ESPNU): Despite going 3-9 last year and dealing with a host of offseason distractions, the home team is 18.5 point favorites over their MAC opponent. Oddsmakers expect some fireworks: The over/under is 56 or 56.5 points.
- Miami-Ohio Redhawks vs. Marshall Thundering Herd (6:30 p.m. Saturday on Facebook - that’s not a misprint): While the line opened with the Redhawks being a 5 point favorite, this is basically a pick ’em. Only BetPhoenix is giving points to Marshall, and it’s just one. The over/under is 51 points.
- North Carolina Tar Heels vs California Golden Bears (12:20 p.m. Saturday on ACC Network): Cal has to fly across country and play a game at what would be 9:20 a.m. their time? No surprise the money is flying toward North Carolina, which opened as an eight-point favorite and is now a 11-point favorite. The over/under is 55 points.
- USC Trojans vs. Western Michigan Broncos (5:15 p.m. Saturday on Pac 12 Network): If the oddsmakers are right, this is going to be a bloodletting. The Trojans are 27.5 point favorites over the Broncos, which lost most of the nucleus (coach, WR, QB) that resulted in their New York’s Six bowl appearance last year. The over/under is 58.
- N.C. State Wolfpack vs. South Carolina Gamecocks (3 p.m. Saturday on ESPN): This border war will be fought on the field of the NFL’s Carolina Panthers, with the Wolfpack as 4.5 or 5 point favorites. The over/under is 52.5 points.
- Wake Forest Demon Deacons vs. Presbyterian College Blue Hose (6:30 p.m. Thursday on ACC Network) and Miami-Florida Hurricanes vs. Bethune-Cookman Wildcats (12:30 p.m. Saturday on ACC Network): There’s no line for games between a Power 5 team and a FCS opponent.
- Navy Midshipmen at Florida Atlantic Owls (8 p.m. Friday on ESPNU): This line has calmed down considerably since the Midshipmen opened as an 18-point road favorite. That’s now down to 10, but the sportsbooks still expect a shootout. The over/under is 68.5 or 69 points, depending on the site you prefer.
- The Stanford Cardinal are off this week after dismantling the Rice Owls, 62-7, in their opener this past Saturday.
The Oklahoma State Cowboys are 18 point favorites over the Tulsa Golden Hurricanes in a game that features a 74-point over/under. The game will kickoff at 7:30 p.m. Thursday on Fox Sports 1.