Micah Jones, a three-star wide receiver who is verbally committed to the Notre Dame Fighting Irish’s Class of 2018, hinted Sunday that “a treat” was about to fall in Irish fans’ laps “soon.”
Where facts fail, speculation begins. So let’s begin the guessing game:
- A commitment seems like the most obvious answer. But who? Four-star rover (safety/linebacker hybrid) Shayne Simon of St. Peter’s Prep (Jersey City, N.J.) has long been rumored to be leaning toward joining Jason and Justin Ademilola and Brandon Wimbush — all Prep alumni — in South Bend. Or perhaps it’s three-star tight end Tommy Tremble, who would join Irish commit Derrik Allen as a Peach State defection, bucking recent history.
Following his cryptic tweet, Jones re-tweeted this:
Could this mean that Jones knows something about four-star wide receiver Kevin Austin’s preferred school? Austin released a Top 4 on April 30 that included the Irish, Duke Blue Devils, Tennessee Volunteers and Miami-Florida Hurricanes.
- He’s announcing he’s enrolling early. If that’s the case, then Blue & Gold Illustrated’s Bryan Driskell already stole Jones’ thunder.
- He’s received a new “sick” edit or “Pot of Gold” piece from Notre Dame or a graphic designer/fan of the Irish.
- Perhaps Jesiah Irish, a two-star wide receiver who said he befriended Jones at a recent Notre Dame camp, picked up an Irish offer. (It seems unlikely, but we’re speculating here.)
- He’s found a perfect guacamole recipe that does not include Miracle Whip or peas.
Notre Dame Makes the Cut
Notre Dame is a finalist in the recruitment of four-star outside linebacker Cameron McGrone (Indianapolis, Ind.) and three-star cornerback Telly Plummer (Fairburn, Ga.). The Irish are in great need of cornerbacks in the 2018 class, as they whiffed in this year’s class and have already suffered a decommitment in that position group.