Finally! It’s game week and not only does that mean the Irish are back, but also Brian Kelly’s weekly press conference is as well. Kelly met with members of the media on Tuesday and answered questions about this week’s game with Texas. Every week we’ll give you a break down of the best and most intriguing news and notes from Kelly’s press conference. So without any further ado here is the first installment of Tuesdays with Brian Kelly.
Brian Kelly doesn’t know who takes the first snap at quarterback against Texas.— Irish Illustrated (@PeteSampson_) August 30, 2016
There shouldn’t be much surprise about Kelly’s answer to who would be starting the first game. He has been pretty mum on the whole situation. With that being said, I am having a hard time believing him. Kelly probably has a pretty good idea of who is taking that first snap on Sunday. My money is on Kizer, but I have been wrong before.
Avery Sebastian listed as starting safety in place of Redfield. Devin Studstill is Sebastian's backup. Drue Tranquill other starting safety— Angelo Di Carlo (@angdicarlowndu) August 30, 2016
There were some members of the Irish media that thought this was a possibility, but most thought that it would be Studstill, myself being one. Sebastian is more of the mold of a Drue Tranquill, in that he’s better when playing in the box. It is pretty clear Kelly is more comfortable going with the sixth year senior in Sebastian, rather than starting a true freshman in Studstill on the road in prime time. Kelly added that Sebastian has been a consistent performer and has a strong grip on the defense.
In describing the new Texas offense: “It’s fast. This is gonna be North Carolina fast. This is gonna be fast, fast tempo."— Irish Illustrated (@PeteSampson_) August 30, 2016
This should worry Irish fans because in recent years the Irish have had trouble with high tempo offenses. That being said, North Carolina had a veteran starter in Marquis Williams running their offense. Texas will be either playing a true freshman in Shane Buechele or Tyrone Swoopes. Still, until the Irish can show they can handle the up tempo offense there should be a sense of concern.
“No mater what happens, we’re running the football.” – Brian Kelly, a quote cheered by Notre Dame message boards everywhere— Irish Illustrated (@PeteSampson_) August 30, 2016
I know quotes like this from Kelly are music to some of my colleague’s ears here at OFD. It finally appears as if Kelly is realizing that the strength of his team is the ground attack and that the passing attack is their to supplement the running game.
Other news and notes
- Kelly praised Isaac Rochell saying he’s the best and most consistent pass rusher on the team. He also said that there are about a half a dozen guys who should help in the pass rush.
- Freshmen Jamir Jones and Julian Okwara will travel with the team and Kelly believe they will be able to help with on the pass rush.
- The team won’t arrive in Austin until late Friday night, which is different than their regular travel schedule since the game is Sunday night rather than Saturday.
- Te’Von Coney, Dexter Williams and Kevin Stepherson were all listed in the two deep.
- Andrew Trumbetti was listed as the starting weakside defensive end. Jay and Daelin Hayes will also see some action in that spot as well.
- Kelly is awarding the No.1 jersey by a game-by-game basis this year, but hasn’t awarded to anyone yet.
Non-football news and notes
- Again BK said that the four players who were arrested would be available if it were up to him, but the school still needs to do their investigation.
- He didn’t suspend the four because it was their first offense. Kelly also said that Notre Dame has a “vigorous” drug testing system
- Notre Dame will start their formal investigation once charges were pressed, which was Monday evening. Although who knows how long Notre Dame’s investigation will take.
- Mike Tirico will be calling the first three Notre Dame home games on NBC. Tirico recently just made the move from ESPN to NBC. Dan Hicks will be calling the last three and the Shamrock Series game.