Tuesday was one of Kelly’s shortest press conference of the season. It only lasted about 30 minutes.
Jarron Jones only played 2 series vs Navy, Kelly: “Preparation is important. preparation is important that is all that I will say.”— Angelo Di Carlo (@angdicarlowndu) November 8, 2016
After a dominating performance against Miami, Jarron Jones only played two series (12 snaps) against Navy. In those two series Notre Dame forced a turnover on downs and a punt. Yes, going into the matchup we knew it probably wasn’t going to be the best matchup for Jones and thats what Kelly told us after the game on Saturday. On Tuesday he shed some more light on the question and basically what he said sounded like Jones didn’t have a great week of practice.
Recruiting on defense is set, regardless of 3-4 or 4-3 defense. “We’re going to be in both because I’m not going anywhere."— BlueandGold.com (@BGInews) November 8, 2016
Maybe Jack Swarbrick’s vote of confidence isn’t a kiss of death after all. Kelly was asked about if he’ll recruit differently knowing they’ll be a new defensive coordinator. He answered in saying no, and that’ll they’ll play a both a three and four man front because he’s not going anywhere.
Kelly said Brandon Wimbush (redshirting this year) is responding well to his year off. Very engaged.— BlueandGold.com (@BGInews) November 8, 2016
On Tuesday Kelly was asked about the next starting quarterback at Notre Dame, Brandon Wimbush. We haven’t heard much about him since he is redshirting this season. Kelly said nothing but good things about him on Tuesday. He said that he’s so engaged that he knows everybody in the building, including the janitor. He also went on to say that since Wimbush throwing mechanics are so good they won’t have to tweak or fix much of his game next season when he presumably will be the starting quarterback.
Other News and Notes
- Daniel Cage is still being held out of football activities. He will go for a second opinion this week.
- Drue Tranquill and Julian love will practice on Tuesday, but in a non-contact fashion. If they are cleared they will be a full go this week against Army. Both suffered concussions against Navy.
- Kevin Stepherson is now the starter at the X-receiver position. Torii Hunter Jr. is now the starter in the slot, right ahead of C.J. Sanders.
- Kelly said that Chase Claypool is ready to get back in the mix after dealing with a hamstring. After the bye week Kelly said Claypool is a player he’d like to use more.
- Kelly said that Julian Love’s performance against the option was one of the best he’s seen from a freshman.