I watched a replay of Brian Kelly's postgame conference on Sunday, and I thought to myself, "I should play a drinking game and take a drink every time he mentions the 'little things' in his Tuesday presser this week." I'm relieved to report I didn't follow through on my plan. Had I stuck to that plan, I'd be getting my stomach pumped right now instead of writing this article.
If ever there were a week to break out the machete and hack through coach-speak to get at what is (and isn't) going on in the Notre Dame football program, it was this week. Coach Brian Kelly spent a full 40 minutes pouring it on for the media on Tuesday. As always, we here at OFD want to try to get past all the "little things" and calls for "day-to-day consistency" in order to get down to things that our community has been discussing.
State of the Team
Let's just start right up top. When asked on Saturday about the state of his team and how Kelly felt about the 2nd loss putting the season in jeopardy, he was quick to dismiss the question. "Don't care," was the simple response. For Kelly, losses represent a need for him and his staff to coach and communicate better. That was also a central theme on Tuesday. The head coach spent much of his time with the media talking about how his team needed to take care of the little things that add up to playing winning football. He responded to a question about the message he's sending to his team with a long answer that was filled with every coaching cliche in the book.
- Day-in and day-out relationships.
- Doing the little things well
- Taking care of your body
- Taking care of business 24x7, including time away form the football building.
George Atkinson III's Performance
Defense & The Big Play
Being the Notre Dame Quarterback
Quick Hits and Notes
- In the post game, Kelly quickly dismissed the notion that they could have attacked to end the first half, saying dismissively that 0:43 was not enough time.
- Kelly heaped quite a bit of praise on ASU, noting this was the most talent Graham has had compared to his previous stops at Tulsa and Pitt. They're fast, attack the edges well, and have a lot of athleticism on both sides of the ball.
- Our Texas contingent will be happy to hear that the game in that state is considered a nice recruiting bump for Kelly & team, and the staff will be out watching games on Friday. They'll also be providing some targets tickets for the game at Jerry's World.
- Sheldon Day should be back in action Saturday. He didn't warm up well enough to play vs. OU.
- The appeal of Ben Councell's ejection was rejected. He'll sit out the 1st half on Saturday, and Romeo Okwara will take his place on the depth chart.
- If Kelly had one down, he'd run left.
- Had I been on the phone or in South Bend on Tuesday (Whiskey and E, hook a brother up), I would have asked about the penalty on Kona. That was a big moment in the game, and the rule that penalizes the player for continuing to play after (an uncalled) illegal hands to the face removes his helmet seems a bit whacky to me.
- In a classic BK troll moment, he was asked if the government shutdown could put the Navy or Air Force games at risk, and if so, is there a contingency, like playing an FCS team. Right away Kelly piped up with:
"Oh, I'd love to look at an FCS opponent. But, I'd be one vote in a room with a lot of probably 'no's'. So I probably know how that's gonna go. Probably me and Al Lesar are the only ones who would say 'yes' on FBS. Would you say yes? No, I didn't think so."
Troll on Brother Kelly, troll on.
Tuesday Press Conference