It is now official, rising sophomore Everett Golson who spent last season running the scout team has now been handed the reigns as the starting quarterback for the Fighting Irish.
The 6-foot South Carolinian will board the plane to Ireland next week as the unquestioned leader of the Notre Dame offense.
Head coach Brian Kelly announced the decision today with his meeting with the media.
- It was a tough decision, but Everett clearly won the job.
- Everett is the starter. If everything goes the way we're planning it, he'd play the whole game.
- We've prepared the offense to suit a first-time starter. Have to make sure we put him in good positions on game day.
- The practice reps go 70% Golson and 30% Hendrix moving forward.
- No special packages for either quarterback.
Kelly also stated that Golson has the ability to extend plays and his composure is excellent. He wouldn't have been named the starter unless they felt like this was the next step toward moving the program forward.
Golson has thrown just 3 interceptions during fall camp---two since last Thursday. He won't turn the ball over if he remains focused.
Others Notes from Kelly's Meeting with the Press:
Freshman WR Davonte Neal will return punts, GA3 will be the kick returner.
Freshman KeiVarae Russell will start at corner opposite Bennett Jackson. The field vs. boundary position have yet to be determined.
Kelly loves freshman WR Chris Brown and sophomore DaVaris Daniels' speed---this will be the fastest team he's had at Notre Dame.
OLB Danny Spond is making progress but no timetable for his return.
We will update you with any more news and notes when they become available.
This feels like a pretty momentous Irish fans. Weigh in with your thoughts...