The Fighting Irish took the practice field again today prior to the Media Day festivities which dominated the news today. Due to thunderstorms threatening the area and rolling in during the schedule practice time, the team moved in doors as the media got another glimpse of the beast that is Notre Dame football.
Full practice report coming after the jump, but first, I have decided that I am going to grow my hair out a little bit, buy some gray sweatpants and sweatshirt, and be Bob Diaco for Halloween.
Heck, I just might wear that outfit every day.
And why not just start out with an interview with Bob?
Here are some notes from today, some of which have been covered by alstein in Cutting Through the Coachspeak.
- Danny Spond was on the field but was not dressed and did not practice. It has been confirmed he suffered an unusual migraine, and is still taking his time coming back.
- Tate Nichols was also out of the lineup, as Brian Kelly noted today in his presser it is a patella issue. He's likely out for the Navy game.
- Quarterback Everett Golson took first team reps.
- Safety Jamoris Slaughter sat out some portions of practice with a bruised heel, while Matthias Farley took his spot on the 1st team.
- Nose tackle Kona Schwenke had a bulky wrap on his right hand and forearm.
- Bennett Jackson and Lo Wood were the starting corners. Jalen Brown and KeiVarae Russell were the corners running with the second team defense. Russell's left hand was wrapped.
- Linebacker Dan Fox had a brace on his left shoudler, Ishaq Williams with one on his right.
- Tight end Jake Golic had a wrap on his right arm.
- Running back Amir Carlisle wasn't dressed---taking the customary day off following a two-a-day while his ankle continues to heal.
- Getting reps with the punt return team were Davonte Neal, Theo Riddick, Cierre Wood, and FC Goodman.
- Cam McDaniel, who is now cross-training at running back and corner, has been the other kick returner with George Atkinson III.
Here's a recap of today's practice from BGI ($). Some quick notes: Nick Martin at 2nd team right tackle, Harrell to 2nd team right guard, Baratti and Salvi at 2nd team safety, and freshman Romeo Okwara at 2nd team dog linebacker. Good breakdown of all the freshmen in that link as well.
Here's Irish Illustrated's breakdown of practice as well ($).
There were a host of player interviews today, and UND.com put up a couple that we'll embed here:
Click HERE for a Chuck Martin interview.
Here's an interview with Brian Kelly as he sat down with Jack Nolan and Reggie Brooks following his press conference.
Here's Kelly's full press conference if you wish to watch it.
Here's an ISD video showing defenders getting ready for Navy's offense.
Here's the practice footage today from UND.com