There was another media day at Notre Dame!
This morning at 10 AM Notre Dame Head Coach Brian Kelly held a press conference for yet another Media Day in South Bend.
As fall camp enters its second week, fans are beginning to get anxious and anticipating some questions being answered in regards to some of the position battles.
Did we find out who the starting quarterback will be against South Florida?
Nope, not yet.
Here are some bullet points from today's presser:
- The team is still evolving and figuring out who they are going to be in 2011.
- This is the most focused team he has ever coached.
- The team enjoys practicing and has great chemistry.
- QB's must master the whole offense, and protect the football.
- Team is not focused on the past with Michael Floyd.
- Floyd has not fallen behind with his training or learning in the system.
- Both Crist and Rees have distanced themselves from Hendrix & Golson.
- The two more experienced QB's can take the whole offense and run with it.
- Original timeline for naming the starter is still the plan---the decision will be the slightest of margins.
- Darius Fleming is a complete player, has been dominating, and has overwhelmed some offensive players at times.
- Eilar Hardy is out for the season with a knee injury, Mike Ragone has a thigh bruise that has kept him limited.
- The University has been very supportive of changes.
- The focus on recruiting is bringing in kids who want to play for Notre Dame, not get ready for the NFL.
- Manti Te'o is improving as a player and is a great leader.
- Ethan Johnson and Kapron Lewis-Moore took too many snaps last year and were tired on third down. They will be more rested with depth along the D-line now.
- Roby Toma was only non-starter invited to media day due to his hard work in practice.
- The team lacks depth on the offensive side of the ball which must be addressed through recruiting.
- Nix, Tuitt, Lynch, and Niklas are physically imposing.
- Daniels, McDaniel, and George Atkinson will all play this year---very impressive athletically but need more mental preparation.
- Cierre Wood is now a complete player.
- Kelly would put his 22 starters against anyone in the country, but he thinks depth is still an issue.
There were more details to the press conference which can be viewed at und.com right now.
Some interesting comments in there by Kelly, particularly with the quarterbacks. I continue to believe he's being coy about the whole situation on purpose.
The official website now has the new team pictures of all of the freshmen (except Prestwood). Here is a look at the 2011 class for the Fighting Irish. Get to know these faces, because they are going to be the future!
Kyle Brindza, K
Brad Carrico, OL
Everett Golson, QB
Aaron Lynch, DE
Ishaq Williams, OLB
George Atkinson, RB
Josh Atkinson, CB
Jalen Brown, CB
Ben Councell, OLB
Davaris Daniels, WR
Matthias Farley, WR
Jarrett Grace, MLB
Connor Hanratty, OL
Eilar Hardy, S
Matt Hegarty, OL
Chase Hounshell, DE
Ben Koyack, TE
Nick Martin, OL
Cam McDaniel, RB
Troy Niklas, OLB
Anthony Rabasa, LB
Tony Springmann, DT
Stephon Tuitt, DE